

Postal voting is at the centre of allegations surrounding the 2025 Manurewa Local Board election.
Photo/RNZ/Eveline Harvey
Auckland Council has lodged information with Police after receiving a formal complaint over alleged voting irregularities in Manurewa.








A Manurewa Local Board member is calling for an independent investigation into allegations surrounding the 2025 local election, while Election Services says it remains confident in the declared result.
Raewyn Bhana says residents deserve confidence that their votes were collected, handled and counted lawfully.
Auckland Council has received a formal complaint and lodged information with Police.
The allegations, first reported by the New Zealand Herald, centre on photographs provided by a whistleblower which purport to show bundles of voting papers stolen from letterboxes during last year's election.
It is alleged the papers were taken to a Manurewa office, opened and completed before being resealed and returned to Election Services. The allegations remain unverified.
Electoral Officer Dale Ofsoske, who is managing director of Election Services, said he became aware of the allegations through an Auckland Council enquiry on August 11 and a New Zealand Herald enquiry the following day. The matter was forwarded to Police on August 14.

Manurewa Local Board member Raewyn Bhana, left, is calling for an independent investigation into allegations surrounding the 2025 local election. Photo/Auckland Council
Ofsoske said Election Services was not aware of any public concerns about the Manurewa Local Board election, other than the earlier complaint, which gave him “no area of concern over the results”.
Asked whether Election Services had evidence suggesting the alleged conduct affected the result, Ofsoske said only that the allegations had now been brought to his attention and the matter had been forwarded to Police.
Asked whether he remained confident in the integrity and declared result, Ofsoske said: “Yes, from the roll scrutiny process (ensuring each elector only votes once) and votes returned.”
Ofsoske said where stolen, altered or improperly completed voting papers were brought to his attention, the law allowed them to be invalidated and special votes issued.
He said this was the safeguard used in the 2025 Ōtara-Papatoetoe Local Board election case, where a District Court judge found voting irregularities had materially affected the result and voided the Papatoetoe subdivision election. The High Court later upheld that decision.
No such finding has been made regarding the Manurewa Local Board election.

Electoral Officer Dale Ofsoske, managing director of Election Services, says he remains confident in the declared result of the 2025 Manurewa Local Board election. Photo/Election Services
However, Election Services cannot specifically determine who filled out a returned voting paper.
“We know the name and address of the elector to whom the voting paper was issued to, and we know the name and address of the elector who returned the voting paper, but there is no ability to specifically confirm who actually completed the voting paper,” Ofsoske said.
Ofsoske said Election Services received a separate anonymous complaint in September 2025 about a letter to Manurewa church and community leaders directing people how to vote and offering to collect completed voting papers.
He said the person alleged to be responsible strongly denied the allegation, and the matter was not referred to Police.
Auckland Council general manager governance and engagement Lou-Ann Ballantyne said council was first informed of the latest allegations on August 11.
“We have since received a formal complaint; sought advice from Police and contacted the SFO to ensure they have the right contacts at the council, should they need any assistance from us,” she said.
“The council cannot carry out a criminal investigation, but we will fully support those agencies with any review or investigation they are leading and have taken our own steps to lodge information with Police.”
Bhana said what happens next should depend on the findings of an investigation.

Auckland Council says any suggestion of unlawful voting activity is of serious concern because it undermines the integrity of local government processes. Photo/Auckland Council
“The allegations now being reported are serious and concerning. While it is essential that natural justice applies and that no person is judged before the facts are established, the public deserves a full and transparent investigation into all matters that have been raised,” Bhana said.
“Should the investigation determine that the integrity of the election process was compromised, then all available options must be considered, including the possibility of a fresh election.”
Manurewa-Papakura ward councillor Daniel Newman said he was “appalled” by the allegation and supported it being referred to external agencies for investigation.
Newman said one of his best friends, Action candidate Judy Tipping, had missed out on a board seat by fewer than 200 votes.
He had voted for Tipping and was “personally very hurt that she might have missed due to alleged irregularities”.
Newman said he and councillor Mike Winiata had pushed for council to abandon postal voting in favour of booth-based voting to protect the integrity of election results in South Auckland.
Ballantyne said postal voting was provided for under local-election legislation and council worked to keep the process lawful, while Aucklanders needed to be “respectful and honest in their conduct”.
“Any suggestion of unlawful voting activity is of great concern to us, especially as it undermines the integrity of local government processes,” she said.
Former Manurewa Local Board member Andrew Lesa has called on Newman to step down as leader of the Action ticket, saying his position had become “untenable”.
“It is the responsibility of the leader to monitor every aspect of the campaign and to own any shortcomings. His resignation would help restore public confidence in our elections.”
Local Democracy Reporting asked Newman about Lesa's resignation call and whether Action knew of concerns involving ballot papers.
Newman did not directly address the questions but said, “I have not been contacted by anyone, and I have nothing to add on this matter.”
The Serious Fraud Office would not confirm or deny whether it had received a complaint or was undertaking an investigation, saying it does not routinely do so to avoid prejudicing the maintenance of the law.
LDR is local body journalism co-funded by RNZ and NZ On Air.
