531 PI
Niu FM
PMN News

District Development Programmes can expect to have their funding withheld if they fail to comply with government requirements, Prime Minister Laaulialemalietoa has confirmed.

Photo/Government of Sāmoa

Politics

Faasaleleaga II funding withheld by Cabinet

Sāmoa's Prime Minister says no more funding after local leaders failed to meet government conditions.

Faasaleleaga II will not receive assistance under Sāmoa’s District Development Programme (DDP) after local leaders failed to meet central government conditions, Prime Minister Laaulialemalietoa Leuatea Polataivao Schmidt confirmed at a press conference on Wednesday.

The Cabinet decision comes amid ongoing tensions over the DDP, under which about NZ$1.1 million (ST$1.8m) is appropriated annually to each of Sāmoa’s 51 districts and administered at district level through Fono Fa‘avae offices.

Laaulialemalietoa said the move sets a precedent that access to government funding depends on adherence to programme rules.

“There will be no assistance for Faasaleleaga II,” he said, describing certain statements by district matai (chiefs) as “disrespectful” and “treasonous”.

He was referring to comments by Tofilau Lino, a matai from Faasaleleaga II, at a Human Rights Protection Party (HRPP) meeting last week.

Tofilau criticised the appointment of the district’s former MP, Magele Sekati Fiaui, as chairperson and questioned the Prime Minister’s willingness to address the issue in person.

Tofilau Lino and Faasaleleaga II representatives. Photo/Sāmoa Observer

“The words that were used, questioning if I have the ‘will’ to go over to Savai‘i, those are threatening words for a leader of a nation,” Laaulialemalietoa said.

He confirmed the matter had been referred to police, but the Prime Minister did not provide details on any investigation or charges.

Faasaleleaga II has been at the centre of controversy after Magele’s appointment, with some village leaders arguing the decision ignored community concerns about his previous use of district funds.

Laaulialemalietoa has stopped funding for a District Development Programme in Savaii. Photo/Government of Sāmoa

The Prime Minister emphasised that while the government will not interfere in district governance, conditions attached to national programmes are firm.

DDP funding is typically used for education support, community projects, and small business initiatives.

Past allocations in other districts have covered primary school tuition for families unable to afford fees, showing how the programme directly affects households.

It is not yet clear which projects in Faasaleleaga II will be affected or whether any current contracts will proceed.

The Cabinet decision signals a major shift: districts that refuse to accept government conditions may be excluded from annual funding, potentially reshaping the balance of authority between central government and local leadership.

PMN News has sought clarification from the Ministry of Women, Community and Social Development on the specific policy or legal authority that allows Cabinet to suspend or withhold DDP allocations.

Watch (Sāmoan) Prime Minister Laaulialemalietoa announce Cabinet's decision on DDP funding for Faasaleleaga II:

A spokesperson has yet to respond. HRPP has also been contacted for comment on its position regarding Cabinet’s authority over nationally administered district funding.

While previous DDP suspensions occurred during caretaker governments for administrative reasons, the Prime Minister’s announcement appears to mark the first time a district may lose funding over a governance dispute and not procedural issues.

With 51 districts depending on these allocations, the Prime Minister’s decision highlights the importance of compliance with national policies and could have wider implications for districts that contest appointments or programme conditions.