Local health clinics urged to maintain high quality care over long weekend
March 31, 2021
By Elijah Fa'afiu - email@example.com
Local clinics are being urged to maintain a strong quality of care over the Easter long weekend.
It comes as 16 clinics in East and South Auckland are being funded to provide free urgent consultations for patients with minor injuries and illnesses.
Mounting pressure on Middlemore Hospital's emergency department has led to the Counties Manukau District Health Board backing local clinics to support the hospital.
South Auckland GP Doctor Api Talemaitoga says he hopes the quality of care remains high among the local clinics.
"My one thing is that we just need to make sure we have quality and that we maintain care.
"Just because they’re not going to the hospital, we need to make sure that the quality is good and I’m sure that the doctors can do that with x-rays, blood tests, things like that."
On Monday night, 187 people showed up at Middlemore Hospital's emergency department, compared to its usual 95 to 120.
Talemaitoga says opening up local clinics will help Middlemore Hospital share the workload.
"This is a great initiative by the District Health Board to get clinics open, to ease the pressure on our emergency department at Middlemore and to look after nursing and nursing staff and doctors, especially with the busy weekend coming up."
The clinics are open from today until Easter Monday.
Clinics and opening hours:
- Local Doctors East Tāmaki 275 East Tāmaki Road, East Tāmaki Monday - Friday 8.30am-5.30pm 9-1pm Saturday
- Local Doctors Browns Road 235 Browns Road, Manurewa Monday - Sunday 8am-8pm
- Local Doctors Ōtāhuhu 15-23 Station Road, Ōtāhuhu Monday - Friday 8.30am-5.30pm
- Local Doctors Chapel Road 160 Chapel Road, Chapel Park Monday - Thursday 8:30-5:30 Friday 9am-1pm
- Local Doctors Dawson Road 124 Dawson Road, Chapel Downs Monday - Sunday 8am-8pm
- Local Doctors Ōtara 3 Watford Street, Ōtara Monday - Sunday 8am-11pm
- Local Doctors Ōtara Mall 120 East Tāmaki Road, East Tāmaki Monday - Friday 8.30am-5.30pm
- Local Doctors Kolmar Road 133 Kolmar Road, Papatoetoe Monday - Friday 8.30am-5.30pm Saturday 9am-1pm
- Local Doctors Dannemora 1 Redcastle Drive, Dannemora Monday - Friday 8am-6pm Saturday 8am-2pm
- Local Doctors Botany South 455 East Tamaki Road, East Tamaki Monday - Thursday 8:30-5:30 Friday 9am-2pm
- Local Doctors Airport Oaks 149A Kirkbride Road, Airport Oaks Tuesday- Friday 8.30am-5.30pm
- Local Doctors Māngere 12A Waddon Place, Māngere Town Centre Monday - Sunday 8am-8pm
- Local Doctors Māngere Bridge 41 Coronation Road, Māngere Bridge Monday - Friday 8.30am-5.30pm
- Local Doctors Māngere East 7b/359 Massey Road, Māngere East Monday - Friday 8.30am-5.30pm Saturday 9am-1pm
- Local Doctors Clendon 459 Roscommon Road, Clendon Shopping Mall Monday - Friday 8.30am-5.30pm
- White Cross Ōtāhuhu 15 Station Road, Ōtāhuhu Monday - Sunday 8am-8pm